Job Listing Overview
WATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR, Class 1 or 2
Louisa County Water Authority is a public utility in the heart of Central Virginia, conveniently located within an hour to an hour and a half drive of Richmond, Charlottesville, and Fredericksburg. We are experiencing growth in Louisa County, seeking to add an enthusiastic, dependable, and experienced Water Treatment Plant Operator to our team. Our Water Treatment Plant is equipped with a state-of-the-art Nanofiltration system, the first of its kind on the East Coast.
Our goal is to provide the best quality potable water while striving to exceed all state and federal regulations. The Operator must have a proven and working knowledge of the processes and demands placed upon public water systems. The Operator works within a general outline of work to be performed and develops work methods and sequences under general supervision. Our primary 1 million gallon per day plant, expandable to 3 million gallons per day, provides operators a diverse range of tasks and work experiences. Additionally, operational responsibilities include operation and maintenance of two ground water systems including greensand filtration, disinfection, and corrosion control.
The preferred candidate will have a Class 1 or 2 Waterworks Operator License issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia and a minimum of three – five years’ work experience in the water treatment business. A candidate with a Class 3 license as well as comparable education and equivalent experience will be considered; however, the candidate must obtain their Class 2 license within 6 months of hire.
Key Essential Functions of the Position:
- Monitors and evaluates the operation of the Water Treatment Plant, to ensure the continuing production of safe potable water which always meets or exceeds all state and federal quality standards.
- Performs laboratory analysis, interprets data, and makes appropriate process adjustments as required.
- Maintains operational log, data sheets, and assists with preparing monthly regulatory reports.
- Inspects equipment, facilities, and grounds to address maintenance and safety needs, reporting any issues requiring corrective actions as necessary.
- Maintains and repairs well system equipment as well as maintains well system water flow and treatment as specified.
- Operates a variety of machinery and equipment including but not limited to raw water pumps, finished water pumps, backwash pumps, chemical feed pumps, standard lab instruments.
- Familiarity with toxic chemicals utilized in the treatment plant processes and laboratory. Utilizes caution and safe handling when working with chemicals.
- Schedule: Work is primarily performed between the hours of 6 a.m. – 4 p.m. We offer a flexible, staggered, rotating schedule (8 continuous days on, 6 continuous days off).
- Extenuating Circumstances: Employees may be required to stay at or return to work during times of high demand and during public health incidents or emergencies to perform duties specific to this classification or to perform other duties as requested in an assigned response position. This may require working a non-traditional work schedule or working outside normal assigned duties during the incident and/or emergency.
- Applicant must be at least 18 years old and possess a valid Virginia Driver’s License.
- Must have earned a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must have at minimum, a current Class 3 Water Operator License issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia with the ability to obtain a Class 2 Water Operator License within 6 months of hire date.
- Must be willing to submit to a background check and a Motor Vehicles check.
- Must consent to drug testing consistent with Louisa County Water Authority’s Drug Free Workplace Policy.
- Applicant must be able to climb and descend stairs and ladders, be able to differentiate colors, willing to work outdoors in extreme weather conditions, and have reliable transportation to and from the facility.
Compensation and Benefits:
Water Treatment Plant Operator, Class 3 – $48,000-$52,600 (must acquire Class 2 License within 6 months of hire date)
Water Treatment Plant Operator, Class 2 – $50,800-$71,700
Water Treatment Plant Operator, Class 1 – $60,200-$79,000
Pay is commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Authority offers competitive compensation, affordable health insurance coverage, participation in the Virginia Retirement System, an optional 457(b) retirement plan with a matching contribution, flexible spending accounts, voluntary benefits, promotes continuing education, and generous paid time off.
Out of State Applicants: Please see link below for Virginia’s Universal License Recognition Policy…
How to Apply:
A completed Louisa County Water Authority application with an original signature, resume, and reference list is required for consideration. Please indicate which position you are applying for when completing the application.
Questions can be directed to Human Resources at 540-967-1122. Louisa County Water Authority is an equal opportunity employer.