Job Listing Overview
CITY OF BRISTOL, TENNESSEE
Position: Water Plant Operator III
Closing Date: Until Filled
- Oversees laboratory operations; maintains quality control and quality assurance programs, maintains inventory, analyzes water samples, and collects water distribution samples.
- Oversees maintenance operations; installs, repairs and maintains equipment, maintains adequate records on maintenance and work performed, and manages inventory.
- Performs routine laboratory analysis. May perform laboratory analysis to assure compliance with state and federal laboratory and testing requirements.
- Operates and maintains system reservoirs and booster stations, monitoring tank levels and other system functions.
- Serves as the Cross Connection Control Officer, responsible for: testing RPZ’s in City’s water system and maintaining records of results.
- Reviewing site plans for new and existing establishments for cross connection issues; inspecting for cross-connections and backflow prevention measures in the city and overseeing hydrant flushing program.
- Performs custodial services for the City’s water treatment plant and ancillary structures.
- Operates the water treatment plant, conducting bi-hourly walk-throughs to inspect equipment, chemicals and water pressure.
- Controls pumps at the plant and at remote pump stations; adjusts chemical feeds, backwashes filters and completes the daily laboratory samples when scheduled.
- Maintains and repairs equipment.
- Maintains plant structures and grounds.
- Unloads shipments of chemicals and supplies.
- May collect and deliver water samples to laboratories for testing.
- May assist laboratory, maintenance and cross connection control personnel with their duties.
- May perform all duties as required of the Water Plant Operators I and II. May serve as supervisor in the absence of the water plant superintendent.
- Must operate equipment and perform all duties and tasks in accordance with safety rules and regulations.
- Perform other related duties, as required.
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- High School diploma (or GED) required, college degree or course work preferred, with one (1) to three (3) years of water plant operations, laboratory analysis, water testing, and/or cross connection inspection experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position.
- Must possess Grade III State Water Filtration certification.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license. May be required to possess RPZ certification.
- Ability to analyze, categorize, compare, count, differentiate, measure and/or sort data and information.
- Ability to assemble, copy, record, and transcribe data. Ability to classify, compute and tabulate data.
- Ability to utilize design data and information such as high tech manuals, computer languages, accounting methods, engineering manuals and educational curricula.
- Ability to add, subtract, measure, multiply and divide, and calculate percentages, fractions, and decimals.
To be considered, candidates must complete an online application at: http://bristoltn.org/jobs.aspx.
THE CITY OF BRISTOL TENNESSEE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. OUR GOAL IS FOR OUR WORK FORCE TO BE REPRESENTATIVE OF THE WORKING POPULATION OF BRISTOL, TENNESSEE. WE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, CREED, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, AGE, VETERAN STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, OR DISABILITY IN ALL MATTERS PERTAINING TO EMPLOYMENT AND PROMOTION; WE WILL NOT TOLERATE DISCRIMINATION ON THE PART OF MANAGERS OR SUPERVISORS. WOMEN, MINORITIES AND THE DISABLED ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. ALL APPLICANTS SUBJECT TO BACKGROUND CHECK, PHYSICAL EXAMINATION AND DRUG SCREENING.